Thursday, April 26, 2007

21 - Podcasts, Smodcasts!

About 6 months ago every second person coming into Brighton Library to use the computers was asking about podcasts, how to download them and how to copy them on to their mp3 players. Bit of a nightmare really trying to explain that you couldn't save them to your ipod because you were not the owner of the itunes software installed on the computer. People just didn't get it, the owned an ipod so why couldn't they get their podcast onto the ipod? Not that easy to explain.

I noticed in this excercise that the 3 directories for locating podcasts are all American, can't help but think this is not relevant to me. Although it does show me where I can find podcasts on certain topics.

The yahoopodcasts, podcast.net and podcast alley sites are very user friendly and you can listen to podcasts immediately and also subscribe to future podcasts in the series.

I did a google search for Australian podcast directories and was happy to see there are alot of hits. So I decided to check out this site
http://www.podcastdirectory.com.au/

So the first 2 I chose to listen to were again American,trying not to get disheartened I clicked on the category Australia and got 8 podcasts including Channel 9 and jtv. Not really good enough for an Australian podcsat directory.

I haven't found a podcast that I am interested in enough to post on my site. I guess you can tell that I am not a huge podcast fan, I am more of a visual person, and like to look at the whole picture not just listen to learn. But that's just me, I prefer to read the information myself.

Anyway I may have lost site of what this exercise was actually about, so gonna finish up now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This particular site relies on podcasters to submit their own
listings. Very few Aussies have bothered to use this directory even though there are many hits from all around the world!